Sunday, February 20, 2005

Mike Myers on Toronto: Parts Five through Ten...

Thought 5: I'm so proud that Toronto is very clean.

Thought 6: I'm so grateful to my Mom and Dad that they chose to move to Toronto from Liverpool, England in 1956. That was two years after Toronto got a subway. That leads me to Thought 7.

Thought 7: I love the TTC. It's clean, it's safe, it's cheap, it's on time. I even love the logo, the typeface, the colours, the fact that street musicians have to audition, the "Ninety! Ninety-Niner! Ninety-Niner!" PA announcements that, to this day, I have no idea what they mean. I have many fond memories of the Queen Street Streetcar, and all of the characters that I rode into town with when I lived in Parkdale. I think the TTC Uniform is cool, and I would like to own one. I love that the subway takes you right to ACC. It's the best way to get to the game. That leads me to Thought 8.

Thought 8: I love the Toronto Maple Leafs. I love the history. (See Thought 3 again.) I love the uniform. I love the game of hockey. I love its contradictions. I love the fact that Toronto fans will applaud a good play even by a visiting team. That leads me to Thought 9.

Thought 9: I love the people of Toronto. The kindness, politeness, and decency of the average citizen are remarkable. I'm often puzzled by some Torontonians who seek to make Toronto "A World-Class City." It already is. In my job, I've had the good fortune to be able to travel around the world, and in my sojourns I've met many nice people, individually. However, I've never experienced "nice" collectively like I have walking the streets of Toronto. I think "nice" is underrated. That leads me to Thought 10.

Thought 10: I love ketchup potato chips. They're underrated. (Sometimes you can get "ketchup potato chip hands," which are a lot like "cheesy hands," but with ketchup potato chips you end up looking like Lady Macbeth.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home